Articles Tagged with NICS appeals

Published on:

In Washington, restoring firearm rights which were lost due to an involuntary commitment for mental-health care can be a real challenge. It turns out to be much more difficult than restoring firearm rights lost due to a criminal conviction. Under either scenario, the person seeking restoration of rights must apply to a Superior Court. This similarities end there.

However, the larger challenge is that even if a Washington Superior Court order restores firearm rights following a mental-health commitment, federal authorities will not recognize the person’s right to possess firearms, and are likely to deny any request to purchase a firearm. Worse news: No procedure is available under federal law to restore firearm rights.

When a person seeks restoration of firearm rights following an involuntary commitment, a judge must restore firearm rights if the person proves the following:

Published on:

Suppose the government somehow prohibited you from speaking or writing on a vital topic. The economy, for example, or foreign policy, or even the designated-hitter rule. Or suppose the government prohibited you and others from gathering in a private home for religious study.

And suppose you objected to the government, and explained that the First Amendment protected your right to speak, to write, to assemble as a group, and to freely exercise your religious belief.

And suppose the government responded to your objection by telling you that it would give your complaint thorough and thoughtful consideration and give you a response in about 20 months.

Contact Information